Tupac Amaru Shakur has a colourful past, with many criminal charges on his rap sheet before his death in 1996.
- April 5, 1993 – Tupac spent 10 days in a Michigan prison for beating another rapper with a baseball bat.
- October 31, 1993 – Tupac allegedly stopped to help a black motorist who he felt was being harassed by the policemen. A fight broke out and Tupac shot one policemen in the leg and the other in the buttocks. When it was determined that the policemen were intoxicated and carrying guns taken from the police evidence room, the charges were dropped.
- November 18, 1993 – Shakur was arrested on the sexual abuse and sodomy charges and weapons charges in New York City. The sodomy and weapons charges were dropped. Shakur was sentenced to 11/2 – 41/2 years in prison, to which he served nine months (beginning February 14, 1995) at the Clinton Correctional Facility.
- November 10, 1994 – Tupac, slated to star in the movie Meance II, punched the director Allen Hughes. He spent 15 days in prison and was replaced in the movie by Larenz Tate.
- November 30, 1994, Tupac Shakur was ambushed by three black men in the lobby of a recording studio in Times Square in New York City. The men robbed him of over $35,000 in cash and jewellery and shot him five times – hitting his head, groin and hand.
- April 5, 1996, Tupac was sentenced to 130 days in jail for violating the terms of his release on bail.
- On September 7, 1996 in Las Vegas, Nevada, Shakur attended the Mike Tyson and Bruce Seldon boxing match. Allegedly after the match, Shakur was involved in a fight in the lobby of the MGM Hotel. After the match was over, Marion “Suge” Knight told Shakur that an alleged Crips gang member, Orlando “Baby Lane” Anderson was in the hotel lobby. Anderson along with other gang members had been suspected of robbing an associate of the record company, Death Row, earlier in the year. Knight, Shakur and some of his entourage assaulted Anderson in the lobby. Later that evening, Shakur was hit with four bullets from a drive-by attack while riding in a car driven by Suge Knight, Shakur died in the University of Nevada Hospital six days later. Although there was a lot speculation about the murder being stimulated by an ongoing rivalry between gangs associated with east and west coast rap recording companies, the murder was never officially solved.